Thursday, December 18, 2008

"Face" the World - Don't Get Lost!

This is one of the situations when I don't want anyone to get losssst. And what better place to express my opinion than here.


I'll come to the point straight away. I was going through a recent piece of news on the BBC website where they had reported about an almost total face transplant. The surgery was successfully carried on, on a woman, who is now said to respond well to the new face. The news headline intrigued me and I read on.



Then I saw what one of the docs said – “We know that there are so many patients there in their homes where they are hiding from society because they are afraid to walk to the grocery stores, they are afraid to go the street.”


This touched me and I thought of putting it across in this precious space I own. Nothing can beat the mental trauma of having a disfigured face (unless you are Micheal Carleone and desperately trying to prove a point with a distorted face). You can not eat, can not smell, and worse, you can not even smile! Just imagine…



This woman was going through the same. And with one surgery, the doctors have restored her back her ability to smell and smile also! This team of doctors was led by Dr Maria Siemionow. Blessed be her soul and those who did this wonderful job. It is as good as giving people back their life.




Having read this, how do you think you can contribute in this great effort? Well, if you know anyone who is hiding and is ashamed to face the world, all because of a distorted face, you can bring in some light and hope in their world. Spread the word around...


If you want to read about this surgery in detail, here is the link - Doctors Explain Face Transplant



No comments: