Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Couriering Coffee

Couriering Coffee


Coffee is my rescuer when workload takes toll.

So there I was sitting cozily at my workstation one day trying to figure out what all to write in an article that was well giving me those soporific moments until coffee came to my rescue.

All of a sudden my phone rang with the famous Roobaroo introductory tone where the guitars jingle so loud that everyone including me comes back from the virtual world with a jolt.

Recognizing the number, I did not say ‘Hello’ instead I gave it a more personal touch by saying, “Haan Sanchi bol?” Sanchi is Sanchita one of my best buddies, who is the most frequent among all my callers. And yet each time she calls up, there is a hint of smile on my lips when I recognize any of her multiple office phone numbers.

So coming back to coffee, she asked me what was I doing and I said I am enjoying coffee. Since neither she nor I had a better topic to discuss at that time, therefore we went ahead with our nothing-to-say-as-such topic when she asked me to courier some coffee to her, since she wasn’t lucky enough to get any cuppa since morning.

Yes I did sound ridiculous to my colleagues who were stealing glances with each other in utter disbelief of what I was saying over the phone. Ignoring the eavesdropping I continued with how I am going to courier the coffee to her and we devised the plan.

Soon after I hung up, I went to the reception of the office and tried to find out the local courier guy’s number. With a little help from the receptionist, I managed to place the call with the guy and told him about my parcel.

The awestruck yet duty bound guy did turn up at my office gates and soon to the astonishment of him, the receptionist and the passers by, I actually handed him a cup of coffee to be couriered to an address written in a neat, big and extra cautious handwriting on a 2” X 4” piece of paper neatly cut out from a big page.

Despite the incredulous voice I heard over the phone while speaking to the courier service man, he was smart enough to bring along a hot water flask, where he put the content of the cup and placed the cup along with the flask in a box attached to his bike. I completed the forms and other obligations, gave him few instructions for safe delivery of my gift, and watched him zoom off towards main road.

After 30 minutes, the guitars in my mobile phone set off again and when I answered the call, I heard a familiar voice in an unfamiliar tone.

Sanchi had run out of words in utter surprise, disbelief and shock!
However the coffee helped her come back to real life and I would love to believe that it gave her more kick than any coffee she had so far.

3 comments:

rk rishikesh sinha said...

not to mention - i read all ur posts visible in the first page. it is dead night. but still enjoying each and evry word.

m not flattering since people have failed to understand flattery and geguine tariff.

anyway ur post on tribute i failed to understand. i dont have the mental faculty to understand so deeeeeeeep poetic stuff. ilove simple like ur - love - post.

ur one post on coffee was great . i cant imagine u did this. well the movie review of rog is stimulating and thought provoking...

i totally agree..............

too short.....na

cholbe naaaaaaaaaaaa.....

andolon ...........

{just kidding}

Shahana said...

thanks Falcon
that was really wonderful of you to spend your precious time in reading what i have to say, when you are ought to sleep.

however i want some criticism as well - that wud really help me grow as a writer... hope to see it next time you come here. :)

Anonymous said...

a lovely piece .. it had all in it the flair, fun and the surprise element well twitched in .. good work lady ...